Medical Officers needed at Madwaleni Hospital, Eastern Cape.
Madwaleni is a rural Eastern Cape district hospital on the Wild Coast, 17km from the beach. They currently have 2 grade 1-3 MO posts vacant and are looking for courageous, dedicated, generalist doctors who are passionate about rural health care to fill these positions.
Madwaleni Hospital and its surrounding clinics are in the Mbashe subdistrict in the Amathole district of the Eastern Cape. It is a 180-bed ,deeply rural hospital initially founded by the Dutch Reformed Church in 1960 and later taken over by DoH.
The hospital covers all areas including medicial, surgical, obstetrics, gyaecology, paediatrics, infectious diseases and TB (including a decentralised MDR TB site), a rehabilitation ward, clinic and CHC outreach and a busy OPD department. The maternity unit delivers around 1,500 babies per year and there are facilities for Caesarean section 24 hours a day.
It has a dedicated, close-knit team of young doctors and allied health professionals who are passionate about rural health care.
There is also likely to be a family physician post opening up in the next few months as Madwaleni is going to be a training site for family medicine registrars and students.
SALARY: OSD rate. Minimum Grade 1-3 MO R596 118 – R790 595 per annum (Inclusive package consists 70% basic salary and 30% flexible portion that may be structured in terms of applicable rules) – this amount excludes rural allowance and overtime.
- Current registration with the HPCSA as a Medical Officer
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Sound knowledge of standard guidelines and norms of patient care in South African district hospitals
- Dedication to ongoing teaching and learning and improvement of holistic patient care
- Good interpersonal skills
- Passion for rural health care
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS:
- To provide holistic, safe, ethical, high quality medical care in a resource limited setting
- To be able to contribute to the realization of the departmental strategic goals
- To participate in quality improvement projects (morbidity and mortality meetings, clinical audits and risk management)
- Provide preventive health interventions and improve primary health care services
- Train and supervise medical students, nursing staff and junior peers
- Participate in emergency after-hours service, including emergency caesarean sections
Please contact the clinical manager for further details or questions: