Short Course in spiritual care and counselling for the sick (Cape Town)
- To have a better understanding of the holistic effects of illness on the person and his/her relationships;
- To understand the impact of the modern health care environment and ways of functioning within this environment;
- To have mastered basic counselling skills to support the sick person and his/her family;
- To be able to offer compassionate spiritual care and guidance in a variety of situations;
- To have completed an optional day of practical work equivalent to 5 hours of supervised counselling.
Dates and times:
- 17-19 September 2015
- Daily from 08:30-16:00
- Tea/Coffee and rusks available.
- Please bring own lunch / lunch can be bought at the Hospital cafeteria.
- Grootte Schuur Hospital (Cape Town), Tafelberg Conference Venue on E-floor.
- New Main building: go in through main entrance and walk down E-floor, past Le Grotti’s cafeteria. The venue will be straight ahead.
- Pastoral work in health care
- The goal of pastoral care for the sick.
- Illness: Towards better understanding.
- The crisis and conflict of illness.
- Understanding the health care environment.
- Illness and healing in the African context.
- Basic counselling skills
- Understanding human behaviour in crisis situations.
- A conversational model for pastoral care of the sick.
- The use of Scripture and prayer.
- Practical application
- Discussion of practical work and conversation reports.
- Addressing emotional and spiritual needs.
- Special needs: e.g. cancer, heart disease, chronic illness, HIV/AIDS.
Registration and information:
- Register with Hester Heunis: firstname.lastname@example.org / 0828030159.
- Banking details: HospiVision, ABSA, Ben Swart Street, Acc. Nr. 4050423436, Branch code 632005. Use HV & Surname as reference.
- Please email proof of payment to Hester hesterheunis1@g mail.com or fax to 012-329 9151.
- 15 CPD points for pastors/ministers.
- 15 CPD points for SACSSP (social work).
- All participants receive an attendance certificate.
- A University of Pretoria certificate issued on completion of practical work and assignment.